Many of you have asked for my yogurt recipe. It is so easy, you'll be amazed!
Here is what you need:
2 cups of our raw cow or goat milk
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani for this)
cinnamon to taste
honey to taste (ours. of course!)
items to have on hand:
1 quart sized mason jar
1 cooler with lid
1 tea towel
1 rubber band
1. Heat 2 cups of milk to just under 100* F. I heated it to 95*. This just helps it to accept the cultures.
2. Put 1/4 cup of yogurt into mason jar. Pour warmed milk over it. Stir gently.
3. Lid the jar. Run the towel under hot water. Wrap the towel around the jar.
4. Place the jar and towel in the cooler and shut the lid. Leave it, untouched, for 7 hours.
5. After 7 hours have passed, you can either have the yogurt as-is, or, you can make it thicker (like Greek yogurt), and flavor it the way I do! If you want to make it like mine, keep reading...
6. Put bowl on the counter. Put collander in the bowl. Cover the collander with the tea towel. Pour the yogurt into the towel. After it is all poured in, gather the ends, twist the rubber band around the gathered ends, and hang the whole towel on a kitchen cabinet knob, over the bowl. Let it drip for 1 hour or more.
7. Remove the rubber band, and lay the towel flat on a counter. Scrape all yogurt off of the opened tea towel. Place it in a mason jar.
8. I add about 1/4 cup of honey and 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon to my jar of yogurt. Refrigerate.
9. Keep 1/4 cup of your prepared yogurt- you can always use it as your culture next time, so you won't have to buy the starter yogurt!